Much of the grounds clearing and trail building was accomplished by Civilian Conservation Corps Company 751 who were assigned to Strawberry Canyon from October 5, 1933 to May 31, 1934. Over 200 young men from Nebraska and Missouri built check dams, constructed roads, and thinned the young tree plantations in the adjacent “primitive area” (now designated an Ecological Study Area). This work established the context for the Garden we know today and developed a number of projects familiar to Garden visitors today including the stone bridge across Strawberry Canyon Creek and Mather Redwood Grove.

© 2015 UC Botanical Garden at Berkeley
Top