The Garden celebrates its 125th Anniversary! Renovation of the Redwood Amphitheater is completed with new seats, stage, and pathwork.
The construction of a new entrance to the Garden ushered in a period of revitalization of the infrastructure and an increased reliance on non-state funding. The Garden was initially funded entirely by state funds but state funds now account for less than one-half of the annual budget.
In 2003, the Directorship was assumed by Dr. Paul Licht, Professor Emeritus, Department of Integrative Biology.
Although the formal Friends group was dissolved in 1997, a community of about 250 volunteers continue to support all activities in the Garden.
Management of the Garden is transferred to the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research.
The Garden is placed under the control of the College of Natural Resources.
The Friends of the Botanical Garden was established in 1976 as a support group for fundraising and involving the general public in volunteer activities.
Under the leadership Robert Ornduff (1974-1991) the Garden launched into a program of outreach to the wider community, becoming the only one of the five natural history museums at UC Berkeley that is open to the public. A docent program was inaugurated in 1974. Each year the Garden’s corps of..Read more
Following Goodspeed’s retirement in the 1950s the Garden directorship passed to Herbert Baker. Under his tenure the collections were further expanded. A seventh expedition, to Bolivia and Peru in 1964, was carried out by garden botanist Paul Hutchison, which added more succulents as well as tropical plants to the collections…Read more
The collection was enlarged by Robert J. Rodin’s University expedition to Africa in 1947-48, which added a singularly large collection of succulents from Southern Africa to the Garden.